Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Trust in the Lord...

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

My heart's desire is to please my LORD. I want to honor Him with all of my actions, my words, my thoughts. I long to hear the words "Well done, my good and faithful servant" as I enter into His presence.
All too often though, I begin to worry... Was that really God's voice or my own? Should I be doing something I'm not? Was I right or wrong in saying that? Questions of doubt worm their ways into my head. Resulting in a cry out of uncertainty! A desire for a set of dos and don'ts... a list of rules I can live by and do everything right. "Cause God, if I only had that, then I wouldn't make any mistakes! I wouldn't dishonor or displease you. I could do everything right..."
But, in reality, is it when "we do everything right" that God is pleased? Or when we turn to Him? Is it God's desire that we live perfect lives on our own? Or that we allow Him to be the one to make us like His perfect son?
I think God didn't give us a "How to Live the Perfect Life 101" rulebook or a perfect understanding of this life for a reason.  Because if He had, would we have as much of a need for Him as we do?? Instead, He gave us His Spirit and His Word!! A part of Himself, given to us to guide us throughout life. (Romans 8:14, Psalm 119:105).
A part of GOD! Given to me! And I just want a list of dos and don'ts?! What a glorious adventure I would miss out on... An adventure to discover the heart of God, to learn more of Him intimately, to become more like Him personally...
This adventure, however, requires faith and trust (two areas God has really been teaching and growing me in as of late).  It requires a confidence that God will direct us in the way He wants us to go, and convict us when we're not walking according to His directions.  We must lay down our need to understand, our desire to control and lead, and place them in the hands of the One who has already planned our lives. (Psalm 139:16). We must confidently live moment by moment listening for the whisper of the Spirit and walking by the light of the Word. Trusting that God will lead and guide us in the way of everlasting. (Psalm 139:24b)

No comments:

Post a Comment